2009 Kawasaki ER-6n
Rexburg Motorsports & GearHead
A spin off of the ninja 650, this was the first year of this introductory bike for kawasaki. 650cc parallel twin motor is extremely smooth. These bikes feature light and nimble handling while maintaining the sporty feel. Awesome looking bike at a great price. Get it before spring time while the prices are low!
Quick-Revving, 649cc Parallel-Twin Engine
- Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valve fuel injected twin cylinder delivers smooth, responsive performance, especially in the low to medium rpm range
- Excellent mid-range power, exceptional roll-on response and impressive passing performance make even commuter traffic enjoyable
- Silky smooth engine vibes via a 180° crankshaft driven balancer shaft, which in turn drives the water pump
- Oil jets on the connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling
- Lightweight plug-mounted ignition coils deliver a hot spark and save space
- Wide radiator offers plenty of cooling efficiency
- New coolant routing travels directly to the engine cases, then on to the cylinder and head through internal passages, which reduces external plumbing and keep the cooling system simple
- Fine-tuned shift lever position is easy to use
Digital Fuel Injection
- Fuel injection settings permit a healthy bottom-end torque while letting the engine rev fast
- Sub-throttle valve equipped 38mm Keihin throttle bodies offer optimum performance and rideability
- Located behind the main throttle valves, the sub-throttles are controlled by the DFI® system ECU for a precise throttle response, similar to a constant-velocity carburetor
- Auto-fast idle system simplifies starting and helps ensure the catalyzer reaches optimum temperature quickly
- The lightweight fuel pump is mounted inside the fuel tank.
Compact Engine Design
- Powerful twin-cylinder engine is the most compact in its category, which helps reduce the dimension of the entire motorcycle and allows use of a slim, minimalist frame
- Triangular setup of the crankshaft and transmission shafts makes the engine short front-to-back
- Transmission input shaft, output shaft and change drum are contained in a “cassette”-style package that allows a compact layout and eases transmission maintenance chores
- Semi-dry sump design reduces engine height
- Plated, linerless aluminum cylinders with a narrow cylinder pitch keep the engine light and slim
- Efficient fuel injection and a three-way catalyzer inside the exhaust produce very low emissions, able to pass the stringent Euro-III emission regulations
- Utilizes a compact and light 300-cell catalyzer unit
- Under-engine muffler placement improves mass centralization and the bike's low center of gravity
- The exhaust pipe bend and under-engine muffler arrangement contribute to the ER-6n's attractive styling
- Rubber upper-rear engine mounts decrease the vibration transferred to the rider through the seat
- Handlebar is rubber-mounted to lessen vibration transmitted through the handle grips
- Rider and passenger footpegs are rubber coated to further reduce vibration
Lighter Handling Trellis Frame
- Frame has all the key ER-6n elements — slim, low, lightweight and compact design that is narrow at the knees and footpegs for rider comfort and control
- The strong, high-tensile steel trellis frame not only looks lightweight, but it is – rivaling that of aluminum frames
- Featuring balanced rigidity, achieved through extensive 3D analysis translates directly into superb handling
- The frame, rear suspension and swingarm designs flow together with an integrated line running from the steering head to the rear hub
- Short front-to-back dimensions of the engine allow for a long swingarm and a short wheelbase combination that contributes to the light and nimble handling
- Swingarm stiffness to balance the frame rigidity – due primarily to the rubber engine mounts
- The D-shaped cross-section swingarm, stabilizer, chain adjuster design and elegant one-piece rider/passenger footpeg stays complement to the ER-6n's high-quality appearance
- Front and rear suspension settings to match the frame and swingarm rigidity values for lighter, rider-friendly handling
- Shape of the 41mm fork lower ends around the axle shaft adds to the bike's performance and high quality image
Confidence Inspiring Ergonomics
- An ideal handlebar, seat and footpeg relationship results in a comfortable and natural riding position suiting a wide range of riders
- Frame narrows just aft of the fuel tank enabling a slimmer seat, making the reach to the ground even easier
- The offset single-shock rear suspension layout with the battery located beside the shock instead of beneath it allows a lower seat height as well
- Low seat height and slim overall design make it easy to plant both feet firmly on the ground when stopped
- Aluminum passenger grips are positioned and shaped for easy grabbing by the passenger
Sharp Masculine Styling
- Angular, stacked dual headlight and its shroud contribute to the ER-6n's masculine image and features two position lights
- Headlights can be adjusted behind the headlight cover
- Reinforcing the ER-6n's masculine styling, the sharp, edgy radiator shrouds feature integrated front turn signals with clear lenses and orange bulbs and forward-leaning lines
- A flush-surface fuel cap and its sharp-edged motif give the tank a distinctive look
- The new ER-6n's compact front-to-rear appearance is enhanced by the short front cowl, short rear cowl with its LED tail light and shrouds that start behind the front fork
- Finishing out the bike's aggressive image is a sharp tail cowl design featuring a slimmer rear mud flap and turn signals that can also function as hazard lights
- A long front fender keeps the mud splashing to a minimum and its two-tone design matches the ER-6n's light, compact theme
- An inner rear fender helps keep the underside of the tail cowl clean
- Storage options include four tie-down hooks for baggage or a spare helmet to be secured to the seat and a storage space under the seat with room for a U-lock or similar device
- Mirror design is a similar supersport-style and offer an unparalleled rear view
- Dual 300mm front petal disc brakes with twin 27mm piston front brake calipers and a single 220mm rear petal disc deliver plenty of braking power
- Housed in a curved brake master cylinder reservoir , the front brake lever utilizes an optimized ball-joint and pivot location to deliver smooth actuation of its 14mm master cylinder piston
- Attractive six-spoke supersport-style wheels augment the bike's light look while reducing unsprung weight
- Stacked instrument cluster has a sharp design and clean layout with an analog speedometer that uses white LED backlights for excellent visibility at night
- The multi-function LCD screen has amber backlighting and its features include a fuel gauge, bar-style digital tachometer, clock, odometer and dual trip meters
- Inner cover inside the front cowl provides a clean appearance in this area
- Handlebar mount design and curved shapes on the brake master cylinder reservoir and clutch lever contribute further to the ER-6n's masculine appearance
- Engine Type: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin
- Displacement: 649 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 83.0 x 60.0 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
- Maximum Torque: 48.5 lb/ft @7,000 rpm
- Cooling: Liquid
- Fuel Injection: Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: O-Ring Chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake/Trail: 24.5°/4.0 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/70-17
- Rear Tire Size: 160/60-17
- Wheelbase: 55.3 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload / 4.9 in.
- Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
- Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm Petal Disc with hydraulic caliper
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.1 gal.
- Seat Height: 30.9 in.
- Curb Weight: 442 lbs.
- Overall length: 82.7 in.
- Overall width: 29.9 in.
- Overall height: 43.3 in.
- Color: Candy Plasma Blue
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin
- 649 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 83.0 x 60.0 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection with two 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies
- Digital CDI
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm hydraulic telescopic fork; Travel: 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload; Travel: 4.9 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single 220 mm Petal Disc with hydraulic caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 55.3 in.
- Seat Height
- 30.9 in.
- 4.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.1 gal.
- Dry Weight
- 442 lbs
- Final Drive
- O-Ring Chain
- Candy Plasma Blue
- Standard: 12 months; Optional: Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months